About Dr. Kane
The Doctor is in…
Emily A. Kane was raised in North Africa. Her parents were with the United States Foreign Service. She came to America at age 16, graduated from Harvard University in 1978, and lived in Paris, Washington DC and New York City before coming to Seattle to begin naturopathic medical training. Her first career was in contemporary performing arts as a promoter, manager, designer and performer.
A graduate of Bastyr University in Seattle (class of 1992), she completed both the Naturopathic and Acupuncture/Oriental Medicine programs. Her preceptor work (similar to residencies) took place in Seattle, West Virginia and China, with emphasis on gynecology, counseling, herbal medicine and naturopathic manipulation (body work). She worked as a Licensed Massage Therapist in Seattle during her medical training for 7 years.
Dr. Kane maintains an active clinical practice in Juneau, Alaska, and sees patients of all ages.
Part of her mission to bring natural methods of healthcare to the public is through writing. Dr. Kane has published over 250 articles in health magazines and professional, peer-reviewed natural health journals during the past 20 years. She writes a column for Better Nutrition magazine called Ask the Naturopathic Doctor, and has also published two books, including a concise and informative book about aging gracefully. The second book, entitled “Managing Menopause Naturally: Before, During, and Forever”, contains useful information for everyone, but is directed towards women wishing to achieve and maintain excellent health.
She is the former senior editor of the Journal of Naturopathic Medicine (1989-96), the scientific, peer-reviewed journal of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians.
She leads community therapeutic fasts at least once annually, and teaches health classes through her local community college.
She is a past president of the Alaska Association of Naturopathic Physicians and has been a member of her national professional association, the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians for over 20 years. She also a member in good standing with the National Commission for the Accreditation of Acupuncturists and Oriental Medicine.
She continues to enjoy the arts, especially music and theatre. In 2001 she completed a Danskin triathlon as part of her dedication to “physical culture,” and has participated in many of the annual relay race called the Klondike (from Skagway, Alaska to Whitehorse, Yukon) since 2001. She is a registered yoga teacher (RYT) and teaches introductory Ashtanga classes in Juneau, where she lives with her husband and daughter. During the deep winter months she can be found on Big Island, Hawaii, in a little solar-powered home with a backyard organic orchard of exotic fruits.
Education and Certification
- Undergrad: BA in Comparative Literature, Harvard University, Cambridge MA 1978
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine Bastyr University, Seattle WA 1992
- Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine Bastyr University 1993. Continuing education certified by NCCAOM
- Masters in Clinical Counseling Bastyr University 1993
- Registered Yoga Teacher since 1995, certified in Ashtanga, Anusara, Purna and Trapeze Yoga instruction
- Licensed Massage Therapist (lapsed) (trained by Brian Utting) 1985
- Hypnotherapy Certification (trained by Shantamo) 1990
- Craniosacral Certification (trained by Dr. Michael Lipelt) 1991
- Prolotherapy Certification (trained by Dr. Joanna Forwell) 2006
- Ozone Therapy Certification (trained by Dr. Frank Shallenberger) 2008
- Auriculotherapy Diploma (trained by Dr Raphael Nogier) 2015
- Alaska Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Society of Cannabis Clinicians
- Rainforest Yoga, Juneau AK
- Mountainside Wellness, Juneau AK
- Pilates Bodies, Juneau AK
- The Alaska Club, Juneau AK
- Credentialed for diagnostic privileges at Bartlett Regional Hospital since 1994.
- Referring provider for Providence Hospital, Anchorage, and in Seattle WA at Virginia Mason Medical Center, Swedish Hospital and University of Washington Medical Center
- Annual continuing education documentation available upon request
- Owner, Natural Healthcare, Juneau AK since 1993
- Writer for Prevention Magazine since 1987.
- Currently a monthly columnist for Better Nutrition magazine “Ask the Naturopathic Doctor”