Q: I am trying to eat right and stay healthy, but should I include eggs in my diet or are they bad for me? A: I am personally a great fan of eggs (including fish eggs), free-range of course.  They are a perfect protein, containing all eight essential amino acids.  They are replete with healthy, mono-unsaturated and essential fatty acids.  The fats in eggs are “emulsified” (broken down) in the liver by the lecithin provided by the very same egg.  This is why eggs do NOT raise “bad” cholesterol, contrary to popular opinion. Lecithin helps prevent kidney and liver damage and slows aging. Lecithin is a precursor to the “feed and breed” (parasympathetic) moeity of our central nervous system function — in contrast to the adrenaline-driven “fight or flight” (sympathetic) response.  So, eggs can help bust stress.  Plus, eggs are one of the best natural sources of Vitamin D — your liquid sunshine and bone builder.  The health benefits of Vitamin D (way beyond just helping calcium absorption) are just beginning to be widely appreciated.  Vitamin D is currently being...

From The Juneau Empire, August 15, 2007 Fluoridated water isn’t the answer to dental caries When I joined the mayoral commission to study the issue of municipal water fluoridation in 2004, I was fairly certain adding fluoride to city water was not the best approach to dental health. I also had some concerns about the ethics and safety of adding a medicine and waste product to the water system, which virtually forces everyone to consume, bathe in and breathe it. After three years of study, my stance has evolved to a deeper and more urgent level of concern.

I know you’ve heard this before, but it is SO important that it bears repeating: CHEW, CHEW, CHEW. This means both slowly and thoroughly. To be totally graphic about it, you want anything you swallow to be a soupy consistency. Especially meat. For starters, digestion starts in the mouth. There are thousands of tiny neuro-receptors in the mouth that send messages to the brain about what is about to come down the pike. These messages “prep” the entire digestive system to gear up for the meal or snack that’s on the way. Fatty foods will trigger the liver to produce extra bile, and cause the gallbladder to contract. The gallbladder is a handy little sack that hangs just under the liver, collecting an extra repository of bile in case you have a Mac-attack. Bile is extremely potent stuff (so precious to the body that 95% is recycled — the other 5% is responsible for the wonderful deep brown color of a healthy poop. Excuse me, I mean bowel movement). Bile is the main agent for digesting fat. But I’m getting...

First World Wide Rights to Let’s Live Magazine, 2004 More than 5,000 Americans die every year from food poisoning. Airport security has received lots of press attention in the past few years, but perhaps we should be paying closer attention to our food and water supply. Admittedly, the people that die from food poisoning are usually in the under 5 and over 65 year old crowds. Nevertheless, a nice case of E. coli, Salmonella or Shigella can definitely keep you housebound for a week or so. Food poisoning is often due to one of these bacteria, but viral infections, such as the Norwalk virus, are increasingly common. The “stomach flu” is the most common cause of infectious diarrhea in the US and viral epidemics are spread through contaminated food or water.

From Women’s Health, January 2005 Q: I’m a 70-yr old female. What can I do naturally to improve my bone health and vertebrae deterioration? (H.G., Schooleys Mt., NJ)

Please print and affix with thy most favorite refrigerator magnet: Thou shalt honor thy health and good spirits above all else. Thou shalt not go on crash diets; there lieth the way of madness. Thou shalt not clean thy neighbor’s plate. Thou shalt not eat when thine eye lusteth but when thy stomach doth supplicate for sustenance. Thou shalt sup chiefly on the fruits of the earth, the grains and vegetables thereof; on the fowl of the air and the fish of the seven seas, whence donuts cometh not. Thou shalt not eat when thou art miserable, for food is not a medicine unto the soul. Thou shalt take exercise daily; for why hast thou sinew and bone, legs and sneakers? Thou shalt be patient but not forgetful of meal times. Thou shalt take delight in every good friend and good song, in every good walk and good day; for to enjoy them more is why these commandments are given unto you. Thou shalt not knit thy brow if thou transgress a commandment, but forgive thyself; for it is written,...