Hot off the press new protocol for improving cognitive function and reversing many measurable parameters of mild cognitive impairment (MCI), the precursor to early dementia and eventually Alzheimer’s, which until now has been considered an irreversible disease. No drugs have worked. The “new protocol” (book will be published in the spring, by Dr. Dale Bredesen) states that our brains make amyloid to PROTECT against toxic insults, which are the actual cause of decay of cognitive function. Dr. Bredesen talks about 3 types of Alzheimer’s, which has been borne out by many meta-analyses. These are:
3) the hardest to treat: heavy metal toxicity from farmed fish (especially fish with big mouths and long lives. Stick to the SMASH fish: salmon, mackerel, anchovies, sardines and herring — all low in Mercury)What’s the remedy? Dr. Bredesen talks about 36 different parameters of intervention, “as though you had a roof with up to 36 leaks — each must be addressed if they are part of the problem.”Remedies include:
1) Excellent diet. What that means is low sugar, low glycemic, high fiber (veggies and low glycemic fruit), SMASH fish, organic, gluten free, no saturated fats except coconut oil.2) Brain herbs like Ashwaganda, Bacopa, Gotu kola. Methylated B vitamins, especially if homocysteine levels are over 103) 8 hours of sleep
4) 12-16 hours of fasting daily. Try to limit eating to an 8 hour window every day.
5) Digestive health: enzymes, good daily pooping
6) Is this sounding familiar ???